* Cannot open enough files
@ 1998-02-24  0:00 Fabrizio Castrotorres
From: Fabrizio Castrotorres @ 1998-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a File limit established by config.nt fot gnat 10.0
under windows NT. I get an error that I cannot create a file. This happens
after I have opened a lot of files, less than 100. I exception I get is
NAME_ERROR event though I already created files with similar names, I print
the name out and is a legal ascii string. I have even increaded the "files"
attribute in config.nt. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

please reply to
fcastrot@acdnj.itt.com

Thank You.

* Re: Cannot open enough files
@ 1998-02-25  0:00 ` Stephen Bull
From: Stephen Bull @ 1998-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabrizio Castrotorres <castroto@remus.rutgers.edu> wrote in article
<6cuo5j$sti$1@remus.rutgers.edu>...
> Is there a File limit established by config.nt fot gnat 10.0
> under windows NT. I get an error that I cannot create a file. This
happens
> after I have opened a lot of files, less than 100. I exception I get is
> NAME_ERROR event though I already created files with similar names, I
print
> the name out and is a legal ascii string. I have even increaded the
"files"
> attribute in config.nt. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

This is a problem which has been addressed in the GNAT mailing list called
GNAT chat, to which you can subscribe by sending a message with the subject
line

subscribe

to chat-request@gnat.com

The consensus is that this *is* a known limitation of GNAT 3.10p for NT but
which is due to a limitation in the underlying MS runtime. It is apparently
fixed in the latest commercial release of GNAT, but not (yet) in the public
release.

* Re: Cannot open enough files
@ 1998-02-27  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1998-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

castroto@remus.rutgers.edu (Fabrizio Castrotorres) writes:

> Is there a File limit established by config.nt fot gnat 10.0
> under windows NT. I get an error that I cannot create a file. This happens
> after I have opened a lot of files, less than 100. I exception I get is
> NAME_ERROR event though I already created files with similar names, I print
> the name out and is a legal ascii string. I have even increaded the "files"
> attribute in config.nt. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Try GNAT for DOS: with FILES=255 in config.sys, GNAT 3.07 and 3.10 can
open 248 files - at least under DR-DOS, MS-DOS, Windows 95.

(Test program: testfile.adb in archive ad.zip, URL:

  http://www.unine.ch/math/Personnel/Assistants/Gautier/Gaut_FTP.htm

)
--
Gautier