* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-12  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <34E2D398.C4652B5B@hotmail.com>, Trawa <trawcia@hotmail.com> writes:
> I'm Beginner in programming with Ada. Does Anybody know how can I use
> (read: import) Motif libraries to my Ada code. I'm working in VAX VMS
> environment.

The Motif packages have typically shipped with the DEC Ada compiler,
but there may be an installation option required to say you want them.
Speak to your system manager.

There is also an unofficial binding method created by some DEC folks
that works for Motif from Ada83 on mutiple platforms.  I have not used
but VMS is one of the platforms they tested.  Check on Gatekeeper or
the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-12  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> There is also an unofficial binding method created by some DEC folks
> that works for Motif from Ada83 on mutiple platforms.  I have not used
> but VMS is one of the platforms they tested.  Check on Gatekeeper or
> the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs.

As I understand it, this method was the one used to create the
"official" bindings.

Unless I missed an update (entirely possible), there's a lot of work
to do to convert the binding machinery to allow big-endian processors
(specifically, SPARC).

* Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-12  0:00 Trawa
From: Trawa @ 1998-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-13  0:00 ` Brett Kettering
From: Brett Kettering @ 1998-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trawa

Trawa wrote:

> I'm Beginner in programming with Ada. Does Anybody know how can I use
> (read: import) Motif libraries to my Ada code. I'm working in VAX VMS
> environment.

  It's been a couple of years since I worked in this environment, but
I'll give it a shot from what I remember.

We used DEC's ACS (Ada Compilation System).  The X and Motif libraries
were made available by putting a specification and entering the shared
libraries as foreign bodies into ADA$PREDEFINED.

I don't think you can create a library that is not a child of
ADA$PREDEFINED in ACS, so you just have to with the packages you want
and then do the ACS LINK and you get the X and Motif libraries included
like that.

Brett

--
Views and opinions expressed are mine and not those of
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Personal E-mail : brett_kettering@hotmail.com

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-13  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <x7vk9b01ot8.fsf@pogner.demon.co.uk>, Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk> writes:
> kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
>
>> There is also an unofficial binding method created by some DEC folks
>> that works for Motif from Ada83 on mutiple platforms.  I have not used
>> but VMS is one of the platforms they tested.  Check on Gatekeeper or
>> the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs.
>
> As I understand it, this method was the one used to create the
> "official" bindings.
>
> Unless I missed an update (entirely possible), there's a lot of work
> to do to convert the binding machinery to allow big-endian processors
> (specifically, SPARC).

I thought the method DEC posted on Gatekeeper was supposed to work
with big-endian machines as well, because it read through the C header
files and built a C program to emit the Ada declarations.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-13  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm Beginner in programming with Ada. Does Anybody know how can I use
> (read: import) Motif libraries to my Ada code. I'm working in VAX VMS
> environment.

When using the VAX VMS version of GNAT, just use with Xm; and you have
access to the standard DEC Motif libraries.

* GNAT for VAX VMS ?
@ 1998-02-14  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-02-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.887415114@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>> I'm Beginner in programming with Ada. Does Anybody know how can I use
>> (read: import) Motif libraries to my Ada code. I'm working in VAX VMS
>> environment.
>

> When using the VAX VMS version of GNAT, just use with Xm; and you have
> access to the standard DEC Motif libraries.

I didn't know there was such a compiler !

I thought GNAT for VMS was Alpha-only.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: GNAT for VAX VMS ?
@ 1998-02-14  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-02-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry said

<<> When using the VAX VMS version of GNAT, just use with Xm; and you have
> access to the standard DEC Motif libraries.

I didn't know there was such a compiler !

I thought GNAT for VMS was Alpha-only.

Larry Kilgallen

Oops, right, Larry is quite correct. My comment should have said

When using the OpenVMS version of GNAT for Alpha, just use ...
So far there is no VAX/VMS version of GNAT. So my message was
confused (since the original question was clearly about VAX)

Wishful thinking I guess :-)

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-14  0:00       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-02-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> In article <x7vk9b01ot8.fsf@pogner.demon.co.uk>, Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > Unless I missed an update (entirely possible), there's a lot of work
> > to do to convert the binding machinery to allow big-endian processors
> > (specifically, SPARC).
>
> I thought the method DEC posted on Gatekeeper was supposed to work
> with big-endian machines as well, because it read through the C header
> files and built a C program to emit the Ada declarations.

It does indeed build a C program as you say. But the problem I fixed
(solution not available for posting (if anyone's interested) unless I
get permission) revolved around the positions of bit fields in
records. I don't think that DEC had any interest in big-endian
machines.

For example,

    type Event_Mask_Type is
        record
            Key_Press           : Boolean;

needs with it

        for Event_Mask_Type use
        record
            Key_Press               at 0 range 0 .. 0;

on a little-endian machine and

        for Event_Mask_Type use
        record
            Key_Press               at 0 range 31 .. 31;

on a big-endian one. I have to say I can't see why Ada compilers force
this grief on us, we don't compute 'Position differently on different
machines. But then I came late to big-endian representations so they
have always seemed slightly crazy to me!

And you can't use

        for Event_Mask_Type'Bit_Order use System.Low_Order_First;

(on GNAT anyway, which takes advantage of RM13.5.3(7).)

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-15  0:00     ` Robert Deininger
From: Robert Deininger @ 1998-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.887415114@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

> > I'm Beginner in programming with Ada. Does Anybody know how can I use
> > (read: import) Motif libraries to my Ada code. I'm working in VAX VMS
> > environment.
>

> When using the VAX VMS version of GNAT, just use with Xm; and you have
> access to the standard DEC Motif libraries.

Is there a public version of GNAT for either Vax or Alpha VMS?  I was looking
at the nyu ftp site a few days ago, and I found many GNATs, but none for
VMS.  Was I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks.

Robert Deininger
Deininger@legs5.phy.bnl.gov

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-16  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-02-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert asks

<<Is there a public version of GNAT for either Vax or Alpha VMS?  I was looking
at the nyu ftp site a few days ago, and I found many GNATs, but none for
VMS.  Was I looking in the wrong place?

The Alpha version of GNAT (version 3.11) is now available to our customers.
As usual, we will be making a public release of this technology some time
in the
future, but no public version is availabl yet.

Oops, to be clear "Alpha version" here means the version for
Alpha OpenVMS. This technology is 100% validated (core + all annexes),
and is highly compatible with DEC Ada 83.

* Re: Ada and Motif libraries
@ 1998-02-17  0:00         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.887677642@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> The Alpha version of GNAT (version 3.11) is now available to our customers.
> As usual, we will be making a public release of this technology some time
> in the
> future, but no public version is availabl yet.
>
> Oops, to be clear "Alpha version" here means the version for
> Alpha OpenVMS. This technology is 100% validated (core + all annexes),
> and is highly compatible with DEC Ada 83.

For full DEC compatibility, the term Robert did not intend to use
(for software still needing to be shaken down by customer trials)
would be "Field Test" :-).

Use of the terms "alpha" and "beta" to describe stages of software
readiness seems to be a PeeCee thing.

Larry Kilgallen

* Alpha and Beta
@ 1998-02-19  0:00           ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Beta-tester="this Bunch of Eejits will Try Anything"
(Microsoft definition)

Alpha="Actual Libraries Processed: Half Already"
(DEC definition)

Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@eisner.decus.org> wrote in article
<1998Feb17.061908.1@eisner>...
[...]