From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: ADA on the super
Date: 1998/04/21
Date: 1998-04-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6hghkc$j8f$3@news.utrecht.NL.net>, Toon Moene <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl> writes:

> Gentlemen, please note that the subject of this thread is: Ada on the super.

Apparently you have not bothered to read the posts of others.  Several
have pointed out that the copies they receive say "ADA" rather than "Ada".
As for "super", that is not an abbreviation normally used here on
comp.lang.ada.  Someone tuning in in the middle might have seen your
reference to "super user", figured you were referring to Unix, and
ignored the rest.  Although I sometimes feel Robert Dewar judges posts
too harshly, his analysis of the original as "rambling" seems quite correct.

> Furthermore, gcc doesn't support the OpenMP (http://www.openmp.org)
> parallellisation directives, and neither has automatic parallellisation.

So why would one want automatic parallelization in a language devoted
to programmer-specified parallelization ?  If the problems defy manual
parallelization but are susceptible to automatic parallelization, use
a language like Fortran where automatic parallelization will not conflict
with explicit parallelization (tasking) already specified by the programmer.

In general the Ada language does not support features which cannot be used
along with particular other features.

Larry Kilgallen