From: bscrawford@aol.com (BSCrawford)
Subject: Re: Abstract Data Types (and a question)
Date: 1998/11/25
Date: 1998-11-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

robinsoj@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I was reading about Ada's Abstract Data Types in Feldman and Koffman's
> book and it reminded me of Object Oriented Programming.  Am I
> corrected is assuming there are similarities between Abstract Data
> Types and OOP?  If so, what are the similarities?

I like to think of OOP as a set of concepts to be understood in the
following three steps:

1. The notion that a program is conceptualized as a collection of
interacting objects. Each object encapsulates internal data and
exports (provides to clients) operations on the data.

2. The notion of an abstract data type (ADT) -- a class of similar
objects, each of which is an instance of the ADT.

3. The notion of class-extension or inheritance, in which new
sub-classes are derived from the root class or ADT.

So, yes, your assumption is correct. The ADT concept is the
important middle step of the three.

Bard Crawford
Stage Harbor Software