From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Subject: Re: 5th USENIX Conf on Object-Oriented Tech & Sys (COOTS'99) - CFP
Date: 1998/05/19
Date: 1998-05-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<199805181500.RAA19306@basement.replay.com>

On Tue, 19 May 1998 02:10:38 GMT, kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry
Kilgallen) wrote:

> In article <199805181500.RAA19306@basement.replay.com>, nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) writes:
>
> > Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but there is only one set of
> > facts. Knowing something that "ain't so" is ignorance. We are all
> > ignorant, so there is no shame attached to it. However, continuing to
> > know something after being informed that it "ain't so" is stupidity. I
> > doubt if anyone who contributes to this news group is stupid. (I can say
> > this because it's been many months since I've seen a posting by the Rev.
> > You-Know-Who.)
>
> It seems to me that calendars, like language, are molded by usage.
> I shall observe carefully on the two December 31 dates in dispute
> to see which has the larger parties.

[The remailer seems to have posted my previous message twice. Hopefully
that will not happen with this one.]

This is an excellent argument. I propose the following argument along
similar lines, confident that you will accept it as well: If more people
think the sun travels around the earth than think the earth travels
around the sun, then the sun travels around the earth.

I knew you'd find that completely convincing. Calendars, unlike
languages, are fixed by their definitions. As I said, you can invent any
calendar you like, but if the centuries don't start on years that equal
1 mod 100, it's not the Common Calendar. (Even if the centuries start on
such years, it may not be the Common Calendar.) If you choose not to use
the Common Calendar, don't expect anyone else to understand you.

If you just want an excuse for a big party, Ada will be 20 on 2000 Dec
10.

36 Okmon 04 (Scarab Calendar).

Jeff Carter  PGP:1024/440FBE21
My real e-mail address: ( carter @ innocon . com )