From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Subject: Re: private type discriminants ignored?
Date: 1998/04/30
Date: 1998-04-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<35460201.ED1315C4@hso.link.com> <354612AF.41C6@hso.link.com>
<35468F93.C371940@hso.link.com>

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:30:08 GMT, robertduff@world.std.com (Robert A
Duff) wrote:

> For such variables a compiler will either allocate the max size, or use
> the heap implicitly to grow and shrink the thing behind the scenes.  I
> prefer the former implementation in a fairly low-level, machine-oriented
> language like Ada.  On the other hand, the deallocate/reallocate scheme
> gives useful flexibility.  On the third hand, the first compiler I used

--                                  third hand!

> that tried that scheme had a bug -- if you renamed a component of such a
> record, the compiler would store the address of the renamed component,
> but then when the discriminant changed, the whole record would move, and
> the renaming would be a dangling pointer.  I believe at least one other
> compiler did it right, by doing the dealloc/realloc thing on just the
> parts that change size depending on the discrim (and you're not allowed
> to rename those components).

Now we know the truth: Robert A. Duff is a Motie!

Jeff Carter  PGP:1024/440FBE21
My real e-mail address: ( carter @ innocon . com )
"You empty-headed animal-food-trough wiper."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Posted with Spam Hater - see
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~net-services/spam/