From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Text control characters
Date: 1997/09/15
Date: 1997-09-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <EGEoGL.CH3@world.std.com>, bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:
> In article <5v9vj1$dge$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>,
> Dale Stanbrough  <dale@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
>>Thinking about it, the preprocessor selection of a with statement
>>would seem to be a fairly benign use of preprocessors. Can anyone see
>>any great harm in this scheme?
>
> To me, it seems better than putting various hacks in your make files or
> shell scripts or whatever.  Or, at least, it *would* seem better, if
> there were a standard preprocessor for Ada, defined by the language.

Ok, so we are talking about an environment in which one has the choice
of building objects for an operating system called Unix or for a totally
distinct operating system (potentially also called Unix :-).  The result
will be bits which will not execute correctly in the "other" environment,
so one is already depending on variations in the build mechanism to put
the output in one place or the other depending on the target.  What is
wrong with also having the build mechanism pull the "os-specific"  package
from one place or the other depending on the target.

Larry Kilgallen