From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Cygwin.dll and win32 stuff - windowing portability
Date: 1997/03/24
Date: 1997-03-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.859166546@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> Nick said
>
> <<For simple windowing operations, this may be possible, but for anything
> vaguely complex/serious/commercial, the problem is that there are too many
> fundamental differences between different windowing systems.>>
>
> This is way too pessimistic. In fact there are a number of attractive
> commercial offerings that do a pretty good job of solving this problem,
> and there are many complex/serious/commercial applications that make
> use of these approaches. Yes, they are not ideal, but they are quite
> adequate for creating practical cross-platform applications.

It really depends on the degree of compliance to platform standards
required by your customer base.  For producing a Macintosh program
which is "recordable" I know of only one framework which provides
appropriate support, and it is not at all a multi-platform framework.

There is some movement trying to make "recordability" a "checklist"
feature when purchasing Macintosh software.  If the typical customer
for your application domain has adopted this attitude they will not
be satisfied by less.

Larry Kilgallen