* Re: Microsoft Job Posting - I need your help if you know any outstanding Developers
       [not found] <01bc32ac$200e40e0$100535cf@bellsouth.bellsouth.net>
@ 1997-03-17  0:00 ` Craig Cockburn
       [not found] ` <01bc3347$88b21cc0$7164afc2@luzifer>
From: Craig Cockburn @ 1997-03-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ann an sgriobhainn <332D83C8.3797@ix.netcom.com>, sgriobh Jim Smith
<jsmithjr@ix.netcom.com>
>The problem with you folks is that you pretend to be "leading edge"
>while in fact, all you want is some guy or gal to move to "wherever" to
>be under the thumb of some empire builder. That's the way they used to
>do it "in the old days". If you were really "leading edge" wouldn't you
>be using the Internet to develop and test things on the Internet? If you
>were really "leading edge", why would the guy or gal have to move to
>"wherever"? To do e-mail from "wherever" instead of where he/she already
>is? Isn't the Internet good enough for communicating? Oh, You're just
>going to tell your customers it is but you don't believe in it yourself.
>Or are you saying that the person you hire, with all the skills you are
>asking for, has to have a supervisor looking over its shoulder to get
>the work done. Get real!

I would tend to agree with the sendiment of this message. If Microsoft
really wants to convince the world it's serious about the Internet and
doesn't just see it as another cash cow then perhaps Microsoft could
actually put some real technology and business structures in place to
hire teleworkers en masse. Whilst there are a lot of computing jobs in
Scotland (we make more computers per head of population than any other
country) there is still a lot of pressure to move "down south" (=London
area) or to the US to advance careers. If I could do that and not move,
I would be a lot happier and more productive. A company which
implemented teleworking large scale would gain a vast amount of first
hand experience which could in turn be sold on to other companies
considering teleworking to any degree. Has anyone got any statistics on
how much more productive the average teleworker is over the average
office worker? 10 years ago I was working for Digital and they did a
small amount of teleworking, but it was fairly small scale. Perhaps
things have changed.

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"), Du\n E/ideann, Alba. (Edinburgh, Scotland)
http://www.scot.demon.co.uk/           E-mail: craig@scot.demon.co.uk

@ 1997-03-17  0:00 ` Jim Smith
       [not found] ` <01bc3347$88b21cc0$7164afc2@luzifer>
From: Jim Smith @ 1997-03-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem with you folks is that you pretend to be "leading edge"
while in fact, all you want is some guy or gal to move to "wherever" to
be under the thumb of some empire builder. That's the way they used to
do it "in the old days". If you were really "leading edge" wouldn't you
be using the Internet to develop and test things on the Internet? If you
were really "leading edge", why would the guy or gal have to move to
"wherever"? To do e-mail from "wherever" instead of where he/she already
is? Isn't the Internet good enough for communicating? Oh, You're just
going to tell your customers it is but you don't believe in it yourself.
Or are you saying that the person you hire, with all the skills you are
asking for, has to have a supervisor looking over its shoulder to get
the work done. Get real!

--

James E. Smith, Jr.
"If I complained, who would listen?"

@ 1997-03-18  0:00   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1997-03-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gunnar Beushausen" <Gunnar@beushausen.wl.eunet.de>:
> Tom Jarosz <misjobs@bellsouth.net> schrieb im Beitrag
>> I could use help in finding an exceptional Developer for Atlanta
>> or North Charlotte area. The person should have a burning passion for
>> technology and want to ride the wave of new leading edge technology. I
>
> Leading edge technology? Microsoft is saying this? No i can't believe
> that...
>
> Must be a joke.

Not at all:

<< The person should have a burning passion for technology...  >> means:
   (s)he is a very good hacker...

<< ...and want to ride the wave of new leading edge technology. >> means:
   ... and is able to decompile (or at least imitate) leading edge software,
   like Netscape or, some years ago, Stacker.