From: Gautier.DeMontmollin@maths.unine.ch (Gautier)
Subject: Re: GNAT uppgrades slows thing down ???
Date: 1997/03/13
Date: 1997-03-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Joakim Olsson" <joakim.h.olsson@swipnet.se> writes:
> I've used GNAT 3.01 for ms-dos on 486sx25 8M and it was mm.. fast,
> but I uppgraded to GNAT3.05 for ms-dos, that was a slow compiler.
>
> Then when I upgraded my PC to Pentium 133Mhz 16 M and Win95, I got GNAT
> 3.04a
> wow it was fast.
> Now I'm back where I started with a slow compiler when I downloaded GNAT
> 3.09,
>  its slower than GNAT3.05 on my old 486.
>
> What has happend to GNAT will just be slower and slower or????
>
> been a Ada-programmer for 5 years now..
>
> se you
> /Jake the Swed

It's the destiny of software... In 5 years the current MS Word will
require a 533 Mhz Octium to scroll not too slowly in your 1-page letter
- and 64M free RAM to avoid virtual memory swapping, i.e. a total
256M, because of the latest Windoze with its new feature of rotating
the 3D booklets (whose ancestors, the windows, could only be moved in 2D).

Back to GNAT: the DOS 3.07 version of GNAT (ftp://ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/ez2load/)
is much faster than the 3.05 one ...and it runs under windoze 95!
...and the compiled programs run under DOS and windoze 3.x too!

N.B.: I use it under DOS (OpenDOS 7.01, http://www.caldera.com) to have
the maximum memory and processor power for programming.

Cheers

Gautier