From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Gnat 3.04a for 95 wierdness
Date: 1997/03/12
Date: 1997-03-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <33259a7a.22085949@news.demon.co.uk>, smoore@chowgar.demon.co.uk (Simon Moore) writes:

> p.s. Would it be worthwhile for me to download 3.09 or are the updates
> minimal?

Ignoring Robert Dewar's specific technical response...

...Any software developer will love you more if problem reports
are from their latest offering.

Even in cases where a product (not just Ada compilers) has two
supported versions due to known glitches in the latest version,
it is that latest version which the developer will be moving on
to future levels, and for which they want the feedback.

An exception, of course, should be made for cases where the
defect you find has already been acknowledged by the developer
and anything stronger than "this affects me too" might be noise.

Again, this is a political rather than a technical tactic.
You make their life easier and they will have more time to
make your life easier.  There are situations where you may
prefer to pay a developer large amounts of money to support
old versions, but those are rare.

Larry Kilgallen