From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: French Messages (was: fr.comp.lang.ada, pour discuter en frangais...)
Date: 1997/01/21
Date: 1997-01-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <5c2ks7$dm7@ash.ridgecrest.ca.us>, do_while@lo-pan.ridgecrest.ca.us (Do-While Jones) writes:

> There apparently isn't much traffic on fr.comp.lang.ada.  This might be
> because some newsreaders don't carry non-English newsgroups.  Mine
> doesn't.  (I've asked for fr.comp.lang.ada, but our system administrator
> doesn't know how to get it.)
>
> Do the English-speaking subscribers of comp.lang.ada object to occasional
> messages in French on comp.lang.ada?

To me it is just as annoying as MAKE MONEY FAST scams.

Although I will presume that all the material in French is valid
discussions regarding Ada, the result for those of us who do not
speak French is exactly the same as if someone had combined the
Ada newsgroup with the Model-Railroading newsgroup. Certainly this
is not the separation-of-content envisioned in the NNTP design.

> Would it be better to set up a mailing list, Equipe_Ada, similar to
> Team_Ada, instead?

If the root problem is news sites not passing French Ada through,
then that problem should be addressed.  If they have a legitimate
argument that traffic is too low to justify carrying the newsgroup
then a mailing list would be in order.

That is my attitude.  I would expect exactly a corresponding
response if I suggested carrying English Ada messages in the
French Ada newsgroup (or the French Model-Railroading group,
for that matter).

Larry Kilgallen