* Re: Helping Students
@ 1997-01-18  0:00 baker
From: baker @ 1997-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have no idea why you people get so upset about helping students with
their school work, after all, aren't you here to help pass on your Ada
skills and knowledge? I mean, that's what you'd be doing as I am learning
Ada at the moment.
As to the comment by Jonh English (respect) yes, I know where your office
is, but you are quite busy and not always in. Also, I know that you must
be an accomplished Ada programmer in order to teach the subject, but if
your book is anything to go by, you have little understanding on how to
pass on your obviously extensive knowledge to the complete beginner,
especially one who may not be quite as bright as others in HND1.
Please understand that I'm not trying to slam your book, rather I'm trying
to justify why I didn't come to you for help and asked here instead.
However, it has occurred to me now that I should have come to see you
first and then asked here.
Apologies,

Jonathan Baker, Brighton University, UK.
(J.M.Baker@bton.ac.uk)

* Re: Helping Students
@ 1997-01-19  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@EISNER.DECUS.ORG> Writes:
>In article <5bqrkh$i9c@saturn.brighton.ac.uk>, jmb36@bton.ac.uk (baker) writes:
>> I have no idea why you people get so upset about helping students with
>> their school work, after all, aren't you here to help pass on your Ada
>> skills and knowledge? I mean, that's what you'd be doing as I am learning
>> Ada at the moment.
>
>Nobody here can speak for all of us, but I will answer for myself.

<lots of good reasons cut out for brevity>

    Let me add one reason which you seem to have missed citing:

    The purpose of "homework" is quite a bit like the purpose of doing
    push-ups or jogging. If the gym teacher assigned the class 3 miles
    of jogging for "homework" and someone posted to a newsgroup: "Can
    anyone out there jog for 3 miles for me?" (or 1.5 miles, presuming
    the student was only looking for the hard part of the assignment)
    wouldn't this look patently absurd? How does the student benefit
    if someone else does the work?

    Now pointing a student off in the right direction ("Look at book
    X, chapter Y..." or "You need to provide a procedure which does a,
    b and c...") is probably not a bad idea and I have seen several
    people provide exactly that kind of help. But anyone who posts
    something to the effect of "I need someone to send me a quicksort
    algorithm in Ada for my class assignment" is looking for someone
    to do some of their jogging for them. (Which may show some
    potential for management, but this isn't B-School ;-))

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "Languages don't kill people. *Programmers* do!"

        --  Rich Stewart - Language Lawyer & Language Control Opponent.