* Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-12  0:00 "Fred H. Turner, III"
From: "Fred H. Turner, III" @ 1997-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

After searching the Web at length, I have been able to find only two
possible solutions for an Ada95 development system on my Mac. I'm currently
taking the first of two Ada95 courses, and would like to be able to do the
work at home. I bought CodeWarrior for an intro C course that I took last
quarter, but I'd rather not have to go right back out and buy another
compiler. So far, though, it looks like the only options are
Unix-on-top-of-Mac-based, and that they are far from free. The only two
solutions that seem to fit the bill are the GNAT compiler/translator
running in Tenon's MachTen or the new CodeBuilder (but even that's gonna be
$100), and the MkLinux OS being developed by Apple (actually, I'm just
assuming that, since it is a Unix-like environment, you can develop Ada
programs with the supported GCC stuff, but I don't even really know exactly
what "GCC" is...)

For starters, I guess that there's no fully-Macintosh way to develop Ada
programs-- you have to do it in a Unix environment, right? With that said,
I guess the GNAT/MachTen/CodeBuilder would do the trick, but I can't see
talking Dad (that's where the funds come from, you see... :) out of more
money when I just bought CodeWarrior a couple of months ago. The MkLinux
option sounds like it would work, but, while this is free, it requires a
minimum of 300 megs disk space, which I would have to purchase anyway. So,
I guess my biggest question is: Have I missed any other possibilities and
is there a simpler way to implement the two (GNAT and MkLinux) solutions
above? Thanks for any help and info that you can provide.

L8r,
Fred

P.S. I don't suppose there's any way to make use of my CodeWarrior
investment while learning Ada...?

* Re: Macintosh Ada95 Development Systems...?
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 Anita Holmgren
From: Anita Holmgren @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dana Miller wrote:
> Plan B(e) is to use your Mac like I do, and log onto some remoteLinux or
> UN*X box WITH gnat or one of many other Ada (watch that capitilization
> there Dana!) compilers..  An do you code development remotely.  Its the
> next best thing to being there!
>
> Plan C.  Write an Ada compiler _In Codewarior_ or port GNAT to the Mac via
> Code Warior.  If you do that I'm certain any decent instructor would give
> you an A+ and take you out for lunch to boot!  And you didn't think life
> was enought of a chalange?

Plan D. Buy CodeBuilder.  Ada95 is now available on Macintosh.  See
www.tenon.com/products/codebuilder. This is the gnat-mac compiler hosted
on a Power Mac for developing both UNIX and Mac apps.

-Anita