From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Jumping Ahead
Date: 1997/02/20
Date: 1997-02-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <5edu5k$lb0@ultranews.duc.auburn.edu>, greerjo@mail.auburn.edu (John M. Greer) writes:

> We didn't learn this in class yet, but I learned it on my own and used
> it.  Now I'm proud of my program, but I'm worried.  Do you think my lab
> instructor will be annoyed that I skipped a few chapters ahead?  (I'm not
> doing this for brownie points, just something I wanted to do.)

As a citizen (but not an educator) let me say that your instructor
_should_not_ be annoyed, because if you are bored in class the chance
is increased that you will leave school and join a street gang :-) :-).

All of my relatives who are teachers tell me it is not possible
to guarantee that everyone starting a class is at the same level
of experience.

The only case I would see for justified annoyance is if there is
doubt on the part of the instructor that you _could_have_ solved
the problem using the earlier material.   If that was the problem,
then you are skipping ahead too far.  Sometimes tutorial material
first shows how hard it is to solve a problem using method A and
then shows how much easier it is using method B.  Make sure at
least in your own mind that you know how to do it with method A.
Someday you will find a compiler with a bug handling method B :-).

Larry Kilgallen