From: sparre@meyer.fys.ku.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen)
Subject: Re: fixed point types over an interface
Date: 1997/02/17
Date: 1997-02-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Laurent Pautet (pautet@inf.enst.fr) wrote:

|^^^^^^^^^^
| Because it doesn't apply to Ada :-) For instance:
|
| XDR says :
|
| The representation of all items requires a multiple of four bytes (or
| 32 bits) of data.
|
| LRM says :
|
| For composite types, the Write or Read attribute for each component is
| called in a canonical order ... Read and Write should use the smallest
| number of stream elements needed to represent all values in the base
| range of the scalar type.

Is there anything that prevents the "stream elements" to fill 32 bits?

If I read 13.13.1 in the LRM correctly, then there's absolutely nothing that
prevents type Stream_Element from being declared as "mod 32".

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Jacob Sparre Andersen                            http://www.nbi.dk/%7Esparre/
Center for Chaos and Turbulence Studies          Phone: (+45) 39 65 53 51