From: Gautier.DeMontmollin@maths.unine.ch (Gautier)
Subject: Re: Looking for a smart linker for GNAT/DOS
Date: 1997/04/24
Date: 1997-04-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> <<- Are RAM space and speed not indirectly concerned by the size of
>   actually loaded blocks of EXE's or DLL's ?
>>>
> no, if you don't load part of an EXE file into memory, you don't load it.

But when many blocks are alternatively loaded and unloaded during execution,
there can be much time lost...

> Now of course there are some systems which do not provide this kind of
> mapping (though nearly all do for DLL's in effect). Certainly debugging
> informatoin does NOT get loaded in any system I know of.

Fortunately...

>                                                          So do not assume
> that EXE size is related to working set requirements!
>
> <<- The HD space grows, but the diskette space doesn't!
>>>

> Well if you still mess with diskettes (I barely use them any more), then
> you certainly will be struggling these days, though pretty soon, there
> should be diskettes with 100x capacity

No problem, the EXE's, the PowerPoint & Acrobat stuff will be 100x bigger too,
for exactly the same content!

>                                        -- I hardly find it convincing that
> we should restrict the functionality of modern software to accomdoate
> obsolete technology!

I don't think that ability to move of a fat person is restricted when he
becomes less fat...

> After all, old software does not go bad, if you are happy with yesterdays
> smaller software that fits on diskettes, by all means use it (I think you
> can even get an RR Ada 83 compiler that will run from diskettes).

But not an Ada 95 one... I'm still unhappy:  B-(

G.