From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Need help re: System Calls
Date: 1997/04/13
Date: 1997-04-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <E8EBpJ.CyD@thomsoft.com>, kst@sd.aonix.com (Keith Thompson) writes:
> In <dewar.860462789@merv> dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> [...]
>> The advantage of using Spawn is that it will work in a similar manner
>> on all operating systems with GNAT compilers.
>
> The disadvantage of using Spawn is that it will only work with GNAT
> compilers -- unless you write your own Spawn routine, which shouldn't
> be too difficult.

I understood "spawn" from this discussion to provide access to a CLI,
but what is valid from that point on certainly varies between
operating systems, and as I understand it, even between Unix
variants.  In general it would seem that portability of access
to "system" capabilities is not helpful between domains where
those capabilities are not identical.

Larry Kilgallen