* Re: Free or discounted Ada compilers for students
       [not found] <01bccd07$769e9220$332c4bc7@AAD>
@ 1997-10-02  0:00 ` David Taylor
From: David Taylor @ 1997-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bccd07$769e9220$332c4bc7@AAD>, "James H. Robinson, III"
<robinsoj@anser.org> wrote:

>I am a graduate student at George Mason University who is learning Ada for
>the first time.  Are there any recommended free or discounted Ada compilers
>for novice graduate students like myself?  I would like to use an Ada
>compiler on Windows NT 4.0.
>
>Also, I know Visual Basic fairly well.  Are there any recommended books
>specializing in the transition from VB to Ada?

You should check out GNAT. The price is right. You can get at some of the
download sites by going to http://www.gnat.com and following your nose. When you
get to the ftp site, go to the winnt directory.

The NYU site is very hard to get at but cdrom is usually available.

dave taylor

@ 1997-10-30  0:00 ` Balmacara9
From: Balmacara9 @ 1997-10-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Subject: Free or discounted Ada compilers for students
>From: "James H. Robinson, III" <robinsoj@anser.org>
>Date: Mon, Sep 29, 1997 14:46 EDT
>
>I am a graduate student at George Mason University who is learning Ada for
>the first time.  Are there any recommended free or discounted Ada compilers
>for novice graduate students like myself?  I would like to use an Ada
>compiler on Windows NT 4.0.
>
>Also, I know Visual Basic fairly well.  Are there any recommended books
>specializing in the transition from VB to Ada?

There is a book called "Ada as a second langauge", but it reads more like a
 reference and book of examples. If you are planning to do work in Ada83
 exclusively, I recommend you buy the older Ada 83 edition because you will
 have to differentiate between 83 and 95 in the new edition.

You should also get a copy of the Ada 83 LRM and/or Ada 95 LRM.

For a tutorial, alot of people like th Barnes book. I started with Booch
 because it was given to me for free.