From: laurentau@aol.com (Laurentau)
Subject: Re : RTSA vs. OO approach to RTE design
Date: 1997/07/13
Date: 1997-07-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>Sujet : 	RTSA vs. OO approach to RTE design
>De :	"Paul Van Bellinghen" <pvanbell@mhv.net>
>Date :	13 Jul 1997 00:46:42 GMT
>
>My company has been using the principles of Real-Time Structured Analysis
>to design the software for its real-time embedded systems for several
years
>(we use Cadre Teamwork with Rational Apex Ada (83) - cross compiled with
>VADScross). They (primarily our SW engineering manager) claim that they
>have nothing against an object oriented approach but that none of their
SW
>engineers are trained in applying its principles to an actual system
>design.

Yes : this is a very important point. In the compagny where I work (they
don't pay me enough to make me give their name :-), there were a report
written on this subject. A team cannot start from scratch such a work. It
means that you will need some "gurus" to help you not to make too much
MAJOR errors. And the team must be "young enough" to be able to switch to
object oriented stuff.

BTW, I am not sure that pure object oriented thinking is good for real
time software. If the implementation rely on high level objects, are you
sure that you'll be able to control the timings ?

L. Aufrechter