* Re: Language Design Mistakes (was "not intended...")
@ 1997-05-14  0:00 John Herro
       [not found] ` <dewar.863630601@merv>
From: John Herro @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:
> There was some push for Ada 9X to allow
> anonymous arrays for record components...

It might be surprising, but that was allowed in the 1980 Ada
standard!  (It was, of course, removed in Ada 83).

- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

[parent not found: <199705151433.OAA18453@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us>]
* Re: Language Design Mistakes (was "not intended...")
@ 1997-05-16  0:00 John Walker
From: John Walker @ 1997-05-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 May 1997 14:02:54 GMT, "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)"
writes:

>let me point out that I have a copy of MIL-STD-1815A (1983) where
>the STD (rightly or wrongly) means "standard"  In fact, before
>I read the quote above, I was planning to post the following query
>(for unrelated reasons):
>
>  Anyone know of an online source for MIL-STD-1815, or whether
>  (and where) the "assert" statement can be found in a
>  (semi-)official pre-1983 Ada publication (online OR printed)?

Well, since we're being precise about terms, and since the
context makes this a report of an abandoned intention, maybe
I don't need to reply. :) :)

However:

I'm not aware of any electronic copy of MIL-STD-1815 (unlike
1815A, which is available on the sw-eng site).  If anyone
else is aware of an electronic copy of 1815, I'd appreciate
hearing about it.)

I have a paper copy, however, I don't find the word assert as
such in the index nor in a quick scan of the syntax summary.

take care,

John
           John Walker, walkerj@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us
              ---Assembler is a high-level language.---
 .GET DSCLAIMR.STD   ; & consider the effect of the insertion point

* Not intended for use in medical,
@ 1997-04-23  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: Tim Behrendsen, Kaz Kylheku et al.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Vice President Ada_Med

The quote," Intel products are not intended for use in medical, life
saving, or life sustaining applications."  as you stated is in Pentium
Processor Specification Update_ from Intel, January 1997.   I called Intel.
The document can be ordered at 800.548.4725.  Intel said that there was no
charge.  The National 32 bit processor had a similar disclaimer.  Do you or
any of the other readers of Comp.Lang.Ada know of other similar
disclaimers?  Many medical instruments use  Intel  486 and Pentium devices.

This quote may provide an excellent opportunity in the medical device
business, which is NOT puny.  My question is, Does validation of an Ada
compiler on a platform provide significant evidence that the processor
produces valid object code?  Would any of the other Ada test suites help?
I deliberately used the word significant rather than sufficient.  If anyone
knows how to prove sufficiency, I would also like a comment.  Any other
suggestions that would permit realistic development of medical devices
would be appreciated.

Microsoft would be well advised to include this type of disclaimer.
Actually, Bill Gates would be best advised to suggest that medical device
manufacturers purchase Ada compilers.  Microsoft is a product liability
lawyer's dream come true, real deep pockets.  Many medical devices are
hosted on Windows and Windows NT Intel computers. Macintoshes are also used.

Although the lawyers are of interest, the response of the FDA will be more
interesting.
You wrote
Date:    Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:18:41 GMT
From:    Tim Behrendsen <tim@A-SIS.COM>
Subject: Re: Any research putting c above ada?

Kaz Kylheku <kaz@vision.crest.nt.com> wrote in article
<5j5kqf$adm@bcrkh13.bnr.ca>...

> Consider this:
SNIP
>     Intel products are not intended for use in medical, life saving, or
>     life sustaining applications.
>
> This quote is taken from _Pentium Processor Specification Update_ from
Intel,
> January 1997. It is in the very first disclaimer paragraph on the inside
> front  cover.

The reason is probably that the medical market is so puny that they
figured it wasn't worth being dragged into a lawsuit if a medical
manufacturer was sued.  That sounds like lawyer-speak to me.