From: Kees de Lezenne Coulande <lezenne@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Re: Discriminant as default initial value
Date: 1997/04/02
Date: 1997-04-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I wrote:

<<Scott,
     I tried both versions of your example using GNAT 3.09 for OS/2, and
found no problems. Maybe it is just the Windows version of GNAT playing up
again.
                                 Kees de Lezenne Coulander>>

and Robert Dewar <dewar@MERV.CS.NYU.EDU> replied:

>No, it works fine in the windows version too. This was a very vague
>report,
>I paid little attention to it. If people think they have found a problem
>in GNAT, it should be properly written up, formatted according to the
>suggestions in gnatinfo.txt, and sent to report@gnat.com.
<snip>

     I know by now how you feel about these things. It is just that this
one intrigued me, because I had not encountered the use of a record
discriminant as the default value for a component before. I spent a couple
of minutes trying it out, found that it seemed to work, and decided that I
could just as well post the reply.
     At the end of last year I acquired a copy of Norman Cohen's magnum
opus, and I am slowly working through it by of a couple of pages a day. By
coincidence, just after posting the message, my daily dose brought me to
pages 381/382 where the allowable uses of discriminants are described. So,
although the original poster may not be any the wiser, I have certainly
learned something. And besides, it was the Easter weekend.
                              Kees de Lezenne Coulander
  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Amsterdam-Zuidoost
  The Netherlands
  E-mail: lezenne@compuserve.com

  Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
  Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands