* Re: Looking for Software Engineering Textbooks
       [not found] <hazlewlj-0502971359110001@ljh_14.aston.ac.uk>
@ 1997-02-09  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <hazlewlj-0502971359110001@ljh_14.aston.ac.uk>,
hazlewlj@aston.ac.uk (Les Hazlewood) wrote:

>I'm looking for suitable textbooks on software engineering that use "Ada"
>(either Ada83 or better Ada95) to illustrate the principles involved, and
>in more detail than in (say) Sommerville's Software Engineering book.
>
>I'm seeking books with the same sort of flavour as:
>Sommerville & Morrison: Software Development with Ada, 1987, Addison-Wesley
>
>Is there anything similar to this available?  Any replies (Email or post)
>will be gratefully recieved.

The closest I can think of would be the 3rd ed of Booch's Software
Engineering with Ada, which has Ada 9X information.

You  may want to check out the Ada homepage, too; visit the books section.

<http://www.adahome.com>

Bruce Blum had some stuff in his book Software Engineering, A Holistic
View, but it's probably closer to the Sommerville SE book (not the Ada one)
in level of detail.

Sadly, Sommerville backed out some of the Ada examples and replaced them
with C++ in the latest ed, which he justified (if I remember correctly)
because of its "popularity."  What's wrong with these guys?

You may want to take a look at Pressman's book, too.  It's also in a new
edition.

>Les Hazlewood

matt

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* Re: Looking for Software Engineering Textbooks
@ 1997-02-12  0:00 Sam Harbaugh: Palm Bay, Florida
From: Sam Harbaugh: Palm Bay, Florida @ 1997-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <hazlewlj-0502971359110001@ljh_14.aston.ac.uk>,
hazlewlj@aston.ac.uk (Les Hazlewood) wrote:

>I'm looking for suitable textbooks on software engineering that use "Ada"
>(either Ada83 or better Ada95) to illustrate the principles involved, and
>in more detail than in (say) Sommerville's Software Engineering book.

and

Matthew Heaney <mheaney@NI.NET> wrote:

>You may want to take a look at Pressman's book, too.  It's also in a new
>edition.

I used Pressman's newest fourth edition last semester for a graduate cs
course "intro to sw eng" and it suited my goals perfectly.  It covers the
field of sw eng and is not a language book.  There is so much more to sw eng
than language that i don't agree with using a language book e.g., "sw eng
with <insert a language here>" for a first course.  Later, when they are
taking software design you could use the language related book to tie the
software design back to the sw eng they learned in my course.

I had a cross section of interests.  Not all students were going for an
mscs.  They were all practicing profesionals, from finance to teaching. I
used Pressman and a series of asigned internet research reports for them to
drill down into certain subjects and then one research project into their
chosen topic of interest.  They loved it, they and I think they learned a
lot. They also learned internet research skills which is as vital today for
a professional as knowing how to read (you knew that).

Hope this helps.

sam harbaugh, PhD
              ^^^ since we are talking about teaching :-)