* VMS Ada TCP/IP Examples
@ 1996-09-07  0:00 Andy Askey
From: Andy Askey @ 1996-09-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am in the process of trying to manage TCP port attributes using DEC
Ada and can't find any good examples of code doing interesting things
with the STARLET package.  Anybody know a good place (or another
newgroup) where I can find Ada TCP/IP examples.

It is a hell of a lot easier using C, but I need to use Ada and I need
to figure it out yesterday.

Thanx for any help you can give me.

--
May your karma be excellent for forgiving my spelling mishaps.

Andy Askey
ajaskey@gnn.com

* Re: VMS Ada TCP/IP Examples
@ 1996-09-07  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-09-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <50qpv3$ld0@news-e2c.gnn.com>, ajaskey@gnn.com (Andy Askey) writes:
> I am in the process of trying to manage TCP port attributes using DEC
> Ada and can't find any good examples of code doing interesting things
> with the STARLET package.  Anybody know a good place (or another
> newgroup) where I can find Ada TCP/IP examples.

I think what you are really suffering from is a lack of examples
of TCP/IP examples using the QIO interface (STARLET) in _any_
language.  The appropriate calls will differ between vendors
although serious vendors also emulate the UCX calls and UCX has
an inefficient method for emulating the Multinet calls.

Check out the documentation for the particular TCP/IP package
you are using for QIO programming -- doing it in Ada is easier
because the compiler will catch your mistakes.

If you need to compare approaches from the various vendors, look
at the source for the NETLIB library from the DECUS tapes.  It is
written in Bliss, but for your purposes it should read the same as
Pascal or Ada.

Larry Kilgallen