From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Linking an ADA routine to a program written in C
Date: 1996/09/28
Date: 1996-09-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.843920011@schonberg>, dewar@schonberg.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> However, in practice, since Ada 95 can duplicate a C interface, Ada 95
> can certainly interfac to anything that C (or for that matter Fortran
> or COBOL) can interface to. Of course, as is generally true for interacing
> from C to anything, such interfaces may indeed be non-portable.

As far as _non-portable_ interfaces to other languages, I can do that
with an Ada 83 program, since I can generally figure out how to program
in assembly language, and in my experience understanding the underlying
machine calling sequences is essential for figuring such things out even
if the linkage is to be constructed in a compiled language.

So the great promise of Ada95 is not interfacing to other language
but _portable_ interfacing to other languages.  Luckily the main code
to which I must portably interface is written in C.

Larry Kilgallen