From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Ada for the Mac
Date: 1996/09/11
Date: 1996-09-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.842401820@schonberg>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> Larry said
>
> "Larry Kilgallen
> Much more familiar with MacOS than Unix"
>
> That would be a more interesting signature if it said "much more familiar
> with MPW than Unix". We don't consider a development system without a
> reasonable command language to be viable for serious development. Note
> that previous Ada compilers for the Mac have taken the same view, but
> have used MPW instead of Unix.

No, I have kept away from MPW, so I do not favor it over MachTen.
Think Pascal, however, seems to be able to do anything one wants
in the way of Macintosh development (code resources, drivers, etc.),
so long as one restricts one's desires to those aspects of MacOS
which existed before PowerPC (no Universal headers, etc.) whenever
Symantec stopped adding features.

IDE-based compilation is quite viable on Macintosh, but the current
commercial IDE offerings just use the wrong languages.

I think Jim expressed good MacOS goals in a post which was almost
simultaneous with Robert's although I realize that by concentrating
on MacOS, Jim gets to dream in greater depth, while Robert must deal
with folks like me who pester for VAX/VMS before Alpha VMS is out the
door :-).

Responding to Jim's request for help, I certainly realize these
things do not happen without contributed effort, and I am on the
lookout for something I might be able to add efficiently.

Larry Kilgallen