From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: ObjectAda Professional GUI Builder
Date: 1996/10/22
Date: 1996-10-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <Btj3aCAJo9ayIwra@shadebs.demon.co.uk>, Benjamin Shade <ben@shadebs.demon.co.uk> writes:

> The best way of using the old version is to just use it for basic window
> layout and no more. After that it is best to write the windows program
> using 'code' and not go back to the GUI editor.

Going back to a GUI generator only when it becomes necessary to
shift a graphic element seems a reasonable approach, as it is hard
to make use of revised code which a GUI generator has built after
your modifications have already been made to the previously
generated code skeletons.  AppMaker attempts to support this
with a shadow set of source files from which the normal set
inherits.  You get to modify the normal set and AppMaker gets
to regenerate the shadow set. This sort of works, but perhaps
it would work even better given the flexibility of Ada 95.
It is my goal to try, and if it works you will certainly
hear about it.

As for ActiveAda/ObjectAda, the skeleton code I have seen
generated by ObjectAda thus far is so inconsequential as to
make revisitation a moot issue.  Or perhaps I just do not yet
realize it and Microsoft Windows GUI programming is a whole
lot simpler than Macintosh or Motif GUI programming.

Larry Kilgallen