From: jmatthews@nova.wright.edu (Dr. John B. Matthews)
Subject: Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
Date: 1996/11/07
Date: 1996-11-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <collins-0411960921020001@ratbert.cs.wm.edu>, collins@cs.wm.edu (Bob Collins) writes:
> I'm really disappointed that Intermetrics decided not to
> build a Macintosh Ada compiler.

Me too! But Applet Magic shows promise. And an MPW tool or
Metrowerks drop-in is not forbidden.

> Most Macintosh users do
> not consider an Ada compiler running in Unix on top of the
> MacOS to be a "Macintosh" Ada compiler. If a Macintosh user
> wanted Unix, why not buy a PC and install Linux?

'Cause then you lose MacOS, something dear to "most Macintosh
users." MachTen is a very well bahaved Mac application, with a
command line interface that complements the desktop experience. Like
MPW, the code you build with the MachTen tools is every bit a
stand-alone Mac application.

John
Dr. John B. Matthews
jmatthews@nova.wright.edu; john_matthews@ccmail.dayton.saic.com
"Whom the gods would destroy, they first invite to program in C"