From: whiting_ms@corning.com (whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting))
Subject: Re: ESP code rewritten in Ada
Date: 1996/11/06
Date: 1996-11-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <327F5B2B.47E3@lmtas.lmco.com>, Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com> writes:
> [comp.lang.ada folks: My news server is down, but hopefully you will get
> this...]
>
> Jack W. Crenshaw has a "Programmer's Toolbox" column in Embedded Systems
> Programming magazine. I like the column, but it suffers from having all
> code examples written in C. For fun, I've decided to start coding some
> of his examples in Ada. I found this month's example to be a good
> example of what Ada can do for reliability; see if you agree.
>
> {example deleted}

Interesting, Ken, as just last week I sent an email to Jack asking him to
consider using Ada in his column in the future!  I got no response ... sigh.
Embedded Systems Programming is one of my favorite magazines and Jack is my
favorite ESP writer, but I find the use of C unfortunate.  Have you considered
sending your example to Jack?

I CAN understand his choice of C as his column is really about techniques and
algorithms rather than implementation.  And C is certainly a concise way to
show a sample implementation, although, I think pseudo-code might be equally
effective, but with the drawback of no way to test the algorithm.

Matt