From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
Date: 1996/11/04
Date: 1996-11-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <collins-0411960921020001@ratbert.cs.wm.edu>, collins@cs.wm.edu (Bob Collins) writes:
> In article <199610271435.a199@k2.maus.de>, Odo_Wolbers@k2.maus.de (Odo
> Wolbers) wrote:
>
>> does anybody know about Ada-compilers for Macintosh, especially
>> PowerMacintosh?
>
> I'm really disappointed that Intermetrics decided not to
> build a Macintosh Ada compiler. Most Macintosh users do
> not consider an Ada compiler running in Unix on top of the
> MacOS to be a "Macintosh" Ada compiler. If a Macintosh user
> wanted Unix, why not buy a PC and install Linux?

If Intermetrics was just on the edge and had decided to go
ahead with a Macintosh compiler there is no certainty they
would have achieved the degree of IDE smoothness Macintosh
afficianados have come to expect.  Even Metrowerks has not
been able to achieve the degree of integration displayed
by Think Pascal.

I think it better to concentrate on what you want rather
than who you want it from, lest your favorite vendor give
you something substandard.

Larry Kilgallen