From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Automatic Test Code Generator
Date: 1996/11/26
Date: 1996-11-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <57ffin$il@mill.gdls.com>, schwarza@gdls.com (Art Schwarz) writes:
> I'm trying to find a test case generator for Ada.

> [2] The test cases should be able to exercise
>     each instruction (not each path).

Hmmm.

	a) I don't see how any test case generator could exercise
	   a single instruction without exercising other instructions
	   on that path.

	b) I don't see how any test case generator which exercised
	   all paths could possibly miss any instructions.

I don't think what you are looking for would be possible as an
Ada-centric tool, since if you are concerned about code paths
and individual instructions you are down below the Ada syntax
to the level of the particular code generator used by your
compiler.  For VMS (and presumably many other operating systems)
you can easily (given appropriate debug symbol table entries)
_check_ whether your test suite covers all code paths, but
automatically generating such a test suite which covers all
code paths seems to me a formidable task.

Larry Kilgallen