* Re: Air Force abandoning Ada
       [not found] <31482EB2.744@lfwc.lockheed.com>
@ 1996-03-22  0:00 ` Blissful
From: Blissful @ 1996-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Interesting ideas -- I read the same article but if USAF
is abandoning Ada, why is is spending big bucks to upgrade
the B-1B processors and to convert our current mish mash
of JOVIAL/AP-101F avionics software to Ada?

Although I think that Ada needs a really good, really cheap
"Borland" compiler to have any chance at becoming mainstream,
I don't think we can sound the death nell just yet.

Vern Bliss
Boeing B-1B software engineer

* Re: Air Force abandoning Ada
       [not found]   ` <4iabm5$4gf@rational.rational.com>
@ 1996-03-27  0:00     ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 1996-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4iabm5$4gf@rational.rational.com>, gabrielb@rational.com (Gabriel Bereny) writes:
> Peter Hermann (ucaa2385@alpha1.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de) wrote:
> : Greg is back.
>
> He's been away learning about metaphors.
>
>> the kiss of death for Ada in the Air Force, and probably the
>> trumpet call to see which of the branches can abandon Ada the
>> quickest.
>
> I guess he didn't make it as far as the admonition against mixing
> them.

In this case, "trumpet" clearly refers to the Last Trump of
Judgement Day, a widely held metaphysical sequiter of death.
The metephor is thus apt, if not strictly "rational" :-)

John