* Sanity breaks out at last
@ 1996-07-26  0:00 ntxbow
From: ntxbow @ 1996-07-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

we're finally thinking of giving Intel processors the heave ho.

Does anyone know of Ada compilers for non-intel embedded evironments, ie
motorola and ARM processors?

I've used the XD ada compiler on 68000s before now but it's very pricey.

--
ntxbow

* Re: Sanity breaks out at last
@ 1996-07-29  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BdceaIANXM+xEwtR@ntxbow.demon.co.uk>, ntxbow <ntxbow@ntxbow.demon.co.uk> writes:
> we're finally thinking of giving Intel processors the heave ho.
>
> Does anyone know of Ada compilers for non-intel embedded evironments, ie
> motorola and ARM processors?
>
> I've used the XD ada compiler on 68000s before now but it's very pricey.

Does everybody need the XD Ada compiler ?

I would think one of the benefits of Ada would be that coding could
be done on any platform, along with a lot of the testing.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Sanity breaks out at last
@ 1996-07-29  0:00   ` William W Pritchett
From: William W Pritchett @ 1996-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check out Green Hills, Tartan, Rational, Thomson and/or DDC-I.  They all target the 68K family.

Larry Kilgallen (kilgallen@eisner.decus.org) wrote:
: In article <BdceaIANXM+xEwtR@ntxbow.demon.co.uk>, ntxbow <ntxbow@ntxbow.demon.co.uk> writes:
: > we're finally thinking of giving Intel processors the heave ho.
: >

@ 1996-07-29  0:00 ` whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting)
From: whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting) @ 1996-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BdceaIANXM+xEwtR@ntxbow.demon.co.uk>, ntxbow <ntxbow@ntxbow.demon.co.uk> writes:
> we're finally thinking of giving Intel processors the heave ho.

May I ask why?  We're just beginning to think of using Intel processors given
the wealth of s/w (OS and application) that runs on them.

Matt

* Re: Sanity breaks out at last
@ 1996-08-05  0:00 ` ntxbow
From: ntxbow @ 1996-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1996Jul29.132621.1@corning.com>, "whiting_ms@corning.com
(Matt Whiting)" <whiting_ms@corning.com> writes
>In article <BdceaIANXM+xEwtR@ntxbow.demon.co.uk>, ntxbow
><ntxbow@ntxbow.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> we're finally thinking of giving Intel processors the heave ho.
>>
>May I ask why?  We're just beginning to think of using Intel processors given
>the wealth of s/w (OS and application) that runs on them.
>
>Matt

because compared to the 68ks they're painful, hardware design is a pain
in the neck, we have to frequently use assembler which in intel is just
another pain non-orthogonal, too many leap-branch-if-you're-called-fred
instructions that just don't need to be there, I know I dont have to use
the CISC aspects but they bug me anyway, stupid segemented memory
architecture, which no doubt people will say I don't have to use, but
I've worked on various projects dating back 10+ years, I've had to
believe me. I've yet to meet someone who's used the two families and
prefers Intel.  Quantity of tools for the Intel family also does not
imply quality, there's a lot of dross out there.
--
jeff farr

* Re: Sanity breaks out at last
@ 1996-08-07  0:00   ` whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting)
From: whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting) @ 1996-08-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <iNh0PHAF$aByEw9b@ntxbow.demon.co.uk>, ntxbow <ntxbow@ntxbow.demon.co.uk> writes:
> In article <1996Jul29.132621.1@corning.com>, "whiting_ms@corning.com
> (Matt Whiting)" <whiting_ms@corning.com> writes
>>In article <BdceaIANXM+xEwtR@ntxbow.demon.co.uk>, ntxbow
>><ntxbow@ntxbow.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>> we're finally thinking of giving Intel processors the heave ho.
>>>
>>May I ask why?  We're just beginning to think of using Intel processors given
>>the wealth of s/w (OS and application) that runs on them.
>>
>>Matt
>
> because compared to the 68ks they're painful, hardware design is a pain
> in the neck, we have to frequently use assembler which in intel is just
> another pain non-orthogonal, too many leap-branch-if-you're-called-fred
> instructions that just don't need to be there, I know I dont have to use
> the CISC aspects but they bug me anyway, stupid segemented memory
> architecture, which no doubt people will say I don't have to use, but
> I've worked on various projects dating back 10+ years, I've had to
> believe me. I've yet to meet someone who's used the two families and
> prefers Intel.  Quantity of tools for the Intel family also does not
> imply quality, there's a lot of dross out there.
--

Fortunately, I don't need to design hardware around the CPU (just plug the BPU
board into the VME backplane) and don't need to use ASM anymore either.  When

Matthew S. Whiting, P.E.   | PP-ASEL-IA | All opinions expressed herein are
Corning Incorporated       | C-182K/A   | strictly personal.
whiting_ms@corning.com     |            |