From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Reasons NOT To Choose Ada
Date: 1996/12/05
Date: 1996-12-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dmiller-0412961436470001@ind-0010-27.iquest.net>, dmiller@cybo.com (Dana Miller) writes:
> In article <57vknm$r3c@news.structured.net>, cts@alpinet.com (Craig
> Spannring) wrote:

>> You might want to check out Object Ada from Thompson.  They have some
>> sort of visual layout program in their professional edition.  I
>> haven't tried it out since I'm being paid to do C++ and $595 is a bit
>> steep for a toy to use at home.
>
> MS VC++ is ~$600 and CodeWarior for the Mac is ~$400

Unless it is very well hidden, Codewarrior does not include a visual
layout program.  AppMaker from Bowers does an excellent job and will
interoperate with CodeWarrior (Pascal or C*), but the total price is
then up to the $600 level.  I don't consider that horrible, but it
is not particularly lower than ObjectAda for Windows on Intel.

> The Professional or Enterprise versions of MSVB or MSVC++ are closer to
> four figures than two.   Iwas just looking at the prices for MS software
> all across the board.  WOW they are EXPENSIVE!!  The alsys^h^h^h^h^h
> Thompson compiler is a good deal when you considder the cost of adding
> bounds checker $??? and possibly several other checkers $??? needed to do
> what Ada does out of the box.  Not a bad deal.  The other advantage of the
> Thompson product is that the definition of Ada95 is not as likely to
> change over the next year as C++ is (was) and force you to keep buying new
> compilers from MS or Borland.

Yes, rather than torture programmers with frequent language changes
the Ada community prefers to torture purchasing agents with frequent
company and product name changes.  ObjectAda is now from a company
called Aonix.  Formerly Thomson.  Former Alsys.

Larry Kilgallen