From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: is there a 'wait' command in Ada
Date: 1996/12/04
Date: 1996-12-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <583052$1tg@felix.seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> In article <1996Dec3.072025.1@eisner>,
> Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@eisner.decus.org> wrote:
>
>>If the debugger in question cannot deal with threads, that still
>>seems to me to be a debugger issue.  I thought I read from Mike's
>>comment that a correct program would run alright unless the
>>debugger is introduced.
>
> Yes, that's true. So what? How should one debug a program that uses a
> simple delay? A program that behaves funny under the debugger
> behaves funny. Recall that I answered the original question by
> saying "the behavior may be surprising." I stand by that statement.:-)

Yes, exactly.

When I paraphrased your comment about the debugger involvement
I intended to emphasize that the problem is not due to "Mike's
funny padded room for students" but rather due to "the debugger",
an environment where one should be able to expect operation to be
identical to regular operation except for specially documented
debugging _features_.

In a non-Ada VMS environment I keep running into well-intentioned
individuals who want to rebuild a large program compiled /nooptimize
for general debugging of reported problems.  They just don't value
having an exact byte-for-byte match with what the end user runs,
including any optimizer decisions.  To me the whole value of a
debugger is in being able to reproduce the _exact_ circumstances
of a problem, although most that I have encountered cannot get
the area beyond the end of the stack to match the non-debugger
environment exactly :-).

Larry Kilgallen