From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: How to overload assignment in Ada 95?
Date: 1996/12/11
Date: 1996-12-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <bbalfour-1112961505130001@stmac0088.std.caci.com>, bbalfour@std.caci.com (Brad Balfour) writes:

> If the new type were defined as tagged private and only derived from A.F.C
> in the private part, then any further derivation that wanted to call on
> the operations inherited from A.F.C would have to be located in a child
> package.

For many cases that is delightful, but "frameworks" are often intended
to be extended by clients.

> FWIW, I happen to like the style which mirrors the inheritance hierarchy
> in the child package hierarchy.

But making the derivation public should not prevent one from mirroring
the inheritance in the child package hierarchy.  Even if enforcement
by compiler is not acceptable, clarity is still nice.

Larry Kilgallen