* MachTen & GNAT memory requirements
@ 1996-04-16  0:00 William C Brennan
From: William C Brennan @ 1996-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm chomping at the bit for Ada on my Mac, but I need memory now for
other applications.  Can anyone give me some estimate of how much memory
I'll need to run GNAT under MachTen Unix, so I can load up with
sufficient RAM now?

Thanks!

--
Bill Brennan
brennanw@pond.com

* Re: MachTen & GNAT memory requirements
@ 1996-04-19  0:00 ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 1996-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <brennanw-1604961904540001@pacific-19.vf.pond.com>,
brennanw@pond.com (William C Brennan) writes: "I'm chomping at the
bit for Ada on my Mac, but I need memory now for  other
applications.  Can anyone give me some estimate of how much memory
I'll need to run GNAT under MachTen Unix, so I can load up with
sufficient RAM now?"

Short answer: it depends.

Long answer: For modest compilation units, I'm getting by with 16 MB
on an 8500 with virtual memory set to 32 MB. Jim Hopper, who's
actually building gnat on Mac, suggests that 32 MB is a minimum to
compile gnat itself; he regularly runs with more.

On PPC, the MachTen application Get Info says
   preferred size 4096 K
   minimum size   2048 K
   suggested zize 3072 K

MachTen allocates data fragments in the MachTen heap and code
fragments in the system heap. The compiler, gnat1, is 3.6 MB plus
whatever stack space you specify (in the 'cfrg' resource or using
MachTen's 'setstackspace' command.

You'll also want to plan for disk space. MachTen is UNIX, which
means lots of little files; MacOS HFS prefers a modest number of
large files. Nothing in MachTen requires that you partition your
hard disk; but if you do, MachTen makes mounting HFS partitions
easy.

MacTen (out of the box) + gnat for Mac (off the net) takes up
47,671,668 bytes for 2968 files. That's 51 MB in a 94 MB partition
but about 120 MB in a 1 GB partition.

Hope this helps.

John
Dr. John B. Matthews
jmathews@nova.wright.edu; john_matthews@ccmail.dayton.saic.com
"Whom the gods would destroy, they first invite to program in C"

* Re: MachTen & GNAT memory requirements
@ 1996-04-19  0:00 ` Gary McKee
From: Gary McKee @ 1996-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

brennanw@pond.com (William C Brennan) wrote:

 > I'm chomping at the bit for Ada on my Mac, but I need memory now for
 > other applications.  Can anyone give me some estimate of how much memory

 > I'll need to run GNAT under MachTen Unix, so I can load up with
 > sufficient RAM now?
 >
 > Thanks!
 >
 > --
 > Bill Brennan
 > brennanw@pond.com
I believe that the smallest amount of RAM that anyone one our team is using
is 16 megs. At 16 megs you should turn on the Mac System VM and expect that
it isn't real peppy.

I am running 40 megs and don't use Mac System VM at all. MachTen and GNAT
are both very nice with this much real memory.

Your mileage may vary.

P.S. We will be doing extensive performance measurements later in the
     project (mid-summer). More details will be provided when we know
     the answers.

Gary McKee                           McKee Consulting
gmckee@cloudnine.com                 P. O. Box 3009
voice: (303) 795-7287                Littleton, CO 80161-3009
WWW home page =>                     <http://www.csn.net/~gmckee/>

* Re: MachTen & GNAT memory requirements
@ 1996-04-21  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1996-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <AD9D1442966831182@p2.denver2.dialup.csn.net>,
Gary McKee <gmckee@cloudnine.com> wrote:

>I believe that the smallest amount of RAM that anyone one our team is using
>is 16 megs. At 16 megs you should turn on the Mac System VM and expect that
>it isn't real peppy.

I'm running the 68k version with 12mb RAM on a IIci. I'm one of the
GNAT-Mac team members, and part of my role is to keep my machines on
the smallish side, just to keep us all in sympathy with what small-
machines users will be going through.:-)

Gary's statement that "it isn't real peppy" is putting it politely.
'Course the IIci is not a peppy machine either (25mhz 68030).

My 7500 with 16mb is better.

Mike Feldman