  • * Re: Ada caused failure of IBM's attempt to redesign air traffic system?
           [not found] ` <cgdH1AAXNkeyEwhg@dweinstein.demon.co.uk>
           [not found]   ` <55kotr$k0b@news.ptd.net>
    @ 1996-11-17  0:00   ` Robert B. Love
    From: Robert B. Love  @ 1996-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
      Cc: jamie

    In <56l5s7$699@news4.digex.net> Jamie Schrumpf wrote:
    > This post came from another group, but certainly has bearing here.
    Can anyone
    > comment on Ted's claim that IBM's failure to redesign the air traffic
    system
    > was due to Ada?

    Well, lets look at other examples where Ada is used in Air Traffic
    Control and then you judge.

    Thompson of France has bragged that it has created the ATC system for
    over 30 nations using Ada and is approaching 90% code reuse.

    Austrailia created its own ATC system in Ada.

    Canada is currently redoing/upgrading its ATC in Ada and the contractor
    is hiring more Ada programmers as we speak.

    Ada has many success stories in Air Traffic Control.  Now, do you want
    to blame Ada for the US failure?  Clearly the language is up to the
    task.  Some programmers or their management may not be up to the task.

    Bob Love, rlove@neosoft.com (local)        MIME & NeXT Mail OK
    rlove@raptor.rmnug.org  (permanent)        PGP key available

    @ 1996-11-19  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <56l5s7$699@news4.digex.net> jamie@dcd00745.slip.digex.net (Jamie Schrumpf) writes:

    > This post came from another group, but certainly has bearing here.
    > Can anyone comment on Ted's claim that IBM's failure to redesign the
    > air traffic system was due to Ada?

    Ted Holden is a well known flaming lunatic of the Net.  Lot's of (to
    put it kindly) bizarre opinion and basically never any factual
    information.

    /Jon

    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

  • * Re: Ada caused failure of IBM's attempt to redesign air traffic system?
           [not found] ` <cgdH1AAXNkeyEwhg@dweinstein.demon.co.uk>
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-11-21  0:00   ` Jamie Schrumpf
    From: Jamie Schrumpf @ 1996-11-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <JSA.96Nov18210950@alexandria>, jsa@alexandria says...

    Schrumpf) writes:

    >> This post came from another group, but certainly has bearing here.
    >> Can anyone comment on Ted's claim that IBM's failure to redesign the
    >> air traffic system was due to Ada?
    >
    >Ted Holden is a well known flaming lunatic of the Net.  Lot's of (to
    >put it kindly) bizarre opinion and basically never any factual
    >information.
    >
    >/Jon
    >
    >--
    >Jon Anthony
    >Organon Motives, Inc.
    >Belmont, MA 02178
    >617.484.3383
    >jsa@organon.com

    I've read the comments about Ted from various folk with high amusement.  I
    brought his comments over from talk.origins, where he is also well-known as a
    net.loon.

    That his opinions on Ada are as equally misinformed as are his opinions on
    every other subject I've seen him pontificate about strikes me as no great
    surprise.  I won't repost any of the aforementioned comments back to him, as it
    might only serve to bring him back over here -- which we certainly do not want.

    Thanks for all the info.
    Jamie Schrumpf                            http://www.access.digex.net/~moncomm
    "It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as
    it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as
    you have got it."    ---  Edmund Way Teale, "Circle of the Seasons"