From: red@satcom.whit.org (Robert Dunn)
Subject: Re: GNAT link error
Date: 1996/08/01
Date: 1996-08-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1996Jul30.105853.24820@hrbicf>,
 on 30 Jul 96 10:58:53 EST,

-----------------------------CUT---------------------------------

>Does anyone have any idea what my problem is?
>Please E-Mail responses, as our news feed is very sporadic at the moment.
>
>Thanks.

Hi again,
   Ok, here is what we got.  We ended up with some cheap compiler, GCC.
it is written for some goofy 8.3 file system.  It distinguishes between
upper and lower case.  Well, sort of.  Ada doesn't care about case.
GCC AUTOMATICALLY changes the package names to lower case.  Then it
complains that the filename does not match the package name.  This was
anoying but not heart stopping.  So there was a slight inconvenience
changing all the filenames to ALL lower case.

   That is completed and I can compile without GCC complaining.  Then
it gets to linking and it starts complaining about visibility.  It
seems the standard packages are only vaguely similar to the names of
the files in which they are contained.  These standard packages also
are using a mixture of cases on the package names.  Somewhere inbetween
something does seem to be translating these package names to their
file names.

   The error(s) I am getting now are traced back to the line where the
package declaration occurs in the standard packages.

   Perhaps we have something set up wrong here.  Perhaps this is
related to your problems.  Perhaps we will eventually get our manuals
from SGI.  (yea, right, took 3 weeks to get the right s/w versions)

   I don't know.  I will keep working on it and let you know if I find
anything.  I would love to hear what you find out also.  (especailly
since we may end up going through it also)

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;