* AAS, was it Ada? Cleanroom?
@ 1996-04-25  0:00 Sam Harbaugh (AQ)
From: Sam Harbaugh (AQ) @ 1996-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nancy posted a brief statement on the incose (international council on
systems engineering) bb that AAS was an almost complete waste of 6 billion
dollars.  I asked her to elaborate and below is her reply.

I recall seeing an IBM exhibit at either a Tri-Ada or IITSC conference ( I
can't  remember which).  The person showing the large round display was very
zealous about the system.  I looked closely and saw that the display
contained many repetions of the same aircraft.  When I pointed it out he
mumbled and started talking to someone else.  It would have made a good
Dilbert cartoon.

So, was AAS Ada? It sounds like software was not the problem, I'm just
curious about the language.

Was AAS cleanroom design?  Again it doesn't sound like software design was
the problem, again I'm just curious.

Is Nancy off base with her comments?

sam harbaugh

* Re: AAS, was it Ada? Cleanroom?
@ 1996-04-27  0:00 ` Brian Nettleton @pulsar
From: Brian Nettleton @pulsar @ 1996-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I worked on AAS for over 3 years (the division of IBM which held the
contract was sold to Loral during that time) as a software engineer.
The original AAS contract with IBM has been cancelled and replaced
with a new program called DSR (Display System Replacement).  DSR is
re-using most of the software (design and code) from AAS which is
applicable.  Ada was certainly not at fault for the problems on AAS.  I
can't think of anyone actually familiar with the project who blames
Ada.  In fact anyone who says "The problem on AAS was X" doesn't know
what they are talking about.  AAS had a multitude of problems ranging
from changing specifications to congressional meddling (the original
consolidation of certain facilities within the FAA proved to be politically
unacceptable) to grandiose expectations (it proved to be impractical to
build a system with only 3 seconds of downtime per year).

The new DSR has dramatically reduced the scope of the original AAS
contract.  Last I heard (January) the system was on schedule and maybe
even a week or so ahead of schedule.

Also a smaller version of the AAS project was sold and delivered to
Taiwan and is soon to be in operation (may already be in operation?).

In <199604260127.VAA10999@bb.iu.net> "Sam Harbaugh (AQ)" <harbaugh@ACUSYS.COM> writes:

>Nancy posted a brief statement on the incose (international council on
>systems engineering) bb that AAS was an almost complete waste of 6 billion
>dollars.  I asked her to elaborate and below is her reply.

>I recall seeing an IBM exhibit at either a Tri-Ada or IITSC conference ( I
>can't  remember which).  The person showing the large round display was very
>zealous about the system.  I looked closely and saw that the display
>contained many repetions of the same aircraft.  When I pointed it out he
>mumbled and started talking to someone else.  It would have made a good
>Dilbert cartoon.

Round display?  The existing system in use today uses round displays.  The
new AAS/DSR system uses large square displays.  Anyway most demo's of the
system used canned data that may well have had the same aircraft duplicated.

>So, was AAS Ada? It sounds like software was not the problem, I'm just
>curious about the language.

AAS was written in Ada.  Again Ada was not a problem on AAS.  Certainly
the project was large enough to find compiler/tool bugs, but these were
never of a nature to justify the kind of schedule problems AAS ran into.

>Was AAS cleanroom design?  Again it doesn't sound like software design was
>the problem, again I'm just curious.

AAS did not use cleanroom.

>Is Nancy off base with her comments?

Most of Nancy's comments were are fairly accurate, except that the
system has not been thrown away, but rather scaled down.  While the
new system will provide much the same support as exists in the field
today, it will install a platform which provides for expansion in the
future.  Hindsight being 20/20 this is probably what should have been
done in the first place, instead of trying to bite everything off at
once.

>sam harbaugh

-Brian Nettleton

Opinions are my own, not Thomson Software Products, IBM's, nor Loral's.

* Re: AAS, was it Ada? Cleanroom?
@ 1996-04-29  0:00 ` Dave Ceely
From: Dave Ceely @ 1996-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199604260127.VAA10999@bb.iu.net>,
 on Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:24:15 +0600,
 AQ <harbaugh@ACUSYS.COM> writes:
>Nancy posted a brief statement on the incose (international council on
>systems engineering) bb that AAS was an almost complete waste of 6 billion
>dollars.  I asked her to elaborate and below is her reply.
[snip]
>So, was AAS Ada? It sounds like software was not the problem, I'm just
>curious about the language.

-- AAS was coded in Ada.
>Was AAS cleanroom design?

-- AAS was NOT Cleanroom (specification, design, certification, or any
-- other aspect of Cleanroom Software Engineering
>Is Nancy off base with her comments?

-- Nancy is somewhat off base in asserting that the entire effort
-- was a waste.  Much of the existing design, code and integration
-- was reused in the renogiated Display System Replacement Contract
-- that Lockheed Martin is performing on (formerly Loral.)  That contract
-- is for somewhat less than $1B, and is firm fixed price.
-- Btw, the original contract with IBM had grown to about $6B, but
-- nowhere near that much was actually spent.

>sam harbaugh

* Re: AAS, was it Ada? Cleanroom?
@ 1996-05-01  0:00 ` guest
From: guest @ 1996-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199604260127.VAA10999@bb.iu.net>, harbaugh@ACUSYS.COM
says...

> [...]
else
>>does) to determine whether they should continue.  I spoke privately to
some
>>people involved in these studies.  An official announcement was made
>>sometime later that most of the system would be canceled but that some
>>parts could be salvaged.
>>
>>      What are they using if they threw away the new system?
>>
>>The old system.
>>
>>      Who was the contractor(s)?  IBM for software?
>>
>>IBM for software and for the consoles as I understand it.  I don't
know
>>if anyone else was involved.
>>
>>      What was the problem?  Not understanding air traffic control?
>>
>>I tried to explain this above.  My take is that the primary problem
was
>>that nobody did a proper requirements analysis at the beginning.  But

As a developer for a sub, then an independent, and finally placing
developers myself; this should give you an idea of how this project was
considered the premiere cash cow of the 90's.

My recollections were of 4000 developers, in at least a dozen locations,
divided into four separate deliveries, to be implemented in sliding
schedules, and development staff growing in double digits.

My previous experience was three years of Ada in the military and two
years commercial.  I thought these were some of the brightest Ada minds
I had ever worked with.  QA/QI was very thorough, perhaps even limiting
at times, this was an issue and should be.  I didn't think the design
documentation was lacking (maybe I've just had to produce with much less
in my time) or below the standards I received in the military.

I recall working long and hard hours, just to get decent Ada work.  I
felt the focus was not on producing results, but, extending the work and
expanding the staff.  The three things I remember as obstacles were
change control, project turnover, and tool automation (sounds like most
projects I've worked on).

I remember helping support and update an Ada source code generator
written in REXX using Bachman case tool design.  Our designs came off of
a mainframe environment.  There was an IBMer tech lead and we talked
about the systems engineers as if they were Elvis sightings.

Calling like I remember...

--
Troy E. Swallow
(405) 942-3327 or (405) 943-1408