From: ceely@source.asset.com (Dave Ceely)
Subject: Re: AAS, was it Ada? Cleanroom?
Date: 1996/04/29
Date: 1996-04-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <199604260127.VAA10999@bb.iu.net>,
 on Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:24:15 +0600,
 AQ <harbaugh@ACUSYS.COM> writes:
>Nancy posted a brief statement on the incose (international council on
>systems engineering) bb that AAS was an almost complete waste of 6 billion
>dollars.  I asked her to elaborate and below is her reply.
[snip]
>So, was AAS Ada? It sounds like software was not the problem, I'm just
>curious about the language.

-- AAS was coded in Ada.
>Was AAS cleanroom design?

-- AAS was NOT Cleanroom (specification, design, certification, or any
-- other aspect of Cleanroom Software Engineering
>Is Nancy off base with her comments?

-- Nancy is somewhat off base in asserting that the entire effort
-- was a waste.  Much of the existing design, code and integration
-- was reused in the renogiated Display System Replacement Contract
-- that Lockheed Martin is performing on (formerly Loral.)  That contract
-- is for somewhat less than $1B, and is firm fixed price.
-- Btw, the original contract with IBM had grown to about $6B, but
-- nowhere near that much was actually spent.