From: Sam Harbaugh <harbaugh@ACUSYS.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada / Boeing 777
Date: 1996/03/19
Date: 1996-03-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@LFWC.LOCKHEED.COM> wrote
ron thompson wrote:
> 777 is the first 100% fly by wire, no mechanical backups
> of any kind, built in the US of A.

Ken First _commercial_ aircraft that is 100% fly by wire, no
Ken mechanical backups, built in the USA, of course.
------------------------------------
from the newspaper article:
      In the unlikely event of a complete electrical system shutdown,
cables from the cockpit to selected spoilers and the horizontal tail
section allow the pilot to glide straight and level until the electrical
system is restarted.
----------------------------------
[or until impact with the earth :-) ]
---------------------------------------
Tim Rowe wrote:

> AIUI the Airbus range has triplicated *diverse* systems for critical
> functions. The 777 has triplicated *identical* systems (I'm trusting the
> press for this, so it may not be gospel).

Ken If I recall the TRI-Ada stuff on this, it's the same source code, compiled
Ken with three different compilers for three different targets. So, it
Ken depends on what you mean by "diversity."

I recall it being written that each of the three were programmed in a
different language, Ada, C and PL/M.
sam harbaugh  harbaugh@acusys.com