From: Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen@EMAIL.ENST.FR>
Subject: Re: Ada for Boeing 777
Date: 1996/02/21
Date: 1996-02-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

At 16:33 19/02/1996 GMT, you wrote:
>[...]
>  "What we have learned so far about the use of Ada on the 777 is a mixed
>   message. ... We found no correlation between the languages used and
>   the number of problems found on the system.  We found instances where
>   Ada was used effectively, and the developers felt it substantially
>   reduced software integration problems.  In other cases, development
>   was hampered by problems with compilers and other support tools....

If you read  carefully this message, it actually matches a lot of experience
from other people: benefits are attributed to the  *language*, while
drawbacks are attributed to *tools*. Often, as here, the distinction is not
made, but it is important: it is MUCH easier to fix a compiler bug than a
language flaw !!!
| P-mail:                            | E-mail: rosen@enst.fr               |
|   ADALOG - 27 avenue de Verdun     |    Tel: +33 1 46 45 51 12           |
|   92170 Vanves - FRANCE            |    Fax: +33 1 46 45 52 49           |