* Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-01  0:54 "Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged"
From: "Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged" @ 1995-03-01  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").

Rick Johnson                 |   email: johnson@halley.aero.org
The Aerospace Corporation    |   phone: (310)336-3588
                             |   "I thought therefore I was"

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-01  6:34 ` Larry Kahn
From: Larry Kahn @ 1995-03-01  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j0gjq$h64@news.aero.org>, johnson@skyvu.aero.org says...

>Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
>I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
>developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
>already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
>kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").

I'm not a dec person in the know but from talking to dec and rational people
at the last tri-ada the answer is NO.  Instead of developing a compiler
I was lead to believe they will use the rational compiler ported to vms....

--
Laurence G. Kahn
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-01 13:11 ` Bob Koehler
From: Bob Koehler @ 1995-03-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j0gjq$h64@news.aero.org>, johnson@skyvu.aero.org ("Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged") writes:

>Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
>I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
>developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
>already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
>kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").

FYI: DEC has announced their intention to maintain their existing Ada product
and resell a third party Ada 95.

Bob Koehler                     |
koehler@bessta.gsfc.nasa.gov    | rkoehler@author.gsfc.nasa.gov

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-02 11:18   ` Bevin R Brett
From: Bevin R Brett @ 1995-03-02 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob is correct - DEC is maintaining its Ada'83 product,
and looking into ways of supplying a 3rd party Ada'9X
product on its VMS platforms.

/Bevin

ex DEC Ada team, currently DEC Perf. Analysis Team

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-02 15:01   ` Garlington KE
From: Garlington KE @ 1995-03-02 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Koehler (koehler@bessta.gsfc.nasa.gov) wrote:

: In article <3j0gjq$h64@news.aero.org>, johnson@skyvu.aero.org ("Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged") writes:
: >
: >Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
: >I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
: >developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
: >already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
: >kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").

: FYI: DEC has announced their intention to maintain their existing Ada product
: and resell a third party Ada 95.

But the "third party" Ada 95 (Rational) is only currently intended for OSF/1.
"Maintenance" of DEC Ada is not currently planned to include Ada 95.

DEC does not appear to be interested in supporting Ada 95 for VMS on any
platform. I haven't heard of anyone else jumping into this market, although
there will be at least one set of VAX-hosted cross-compilers that will
support Ada 95 (Tartan).

There are rumors that DEC is performing a business case study to see if a
VAX-hosted Ada 95 compiler is a good idea, but no one at DEC that supports
F-22 can tell us anything about it.

Ken Garlington                  GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com
F-22 Computer Resources         Lockheed Fort Worth Co.

If LFWC or the F-22 program has any opinions, they aren't telling me.

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-03 16:20     ` Garlington KE
From: Garlington KE @ 1995-03-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bevin R Brett (100356.113@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Bob is correct - DEC is maintaining its Ada'83 product,
: and looking into ways of supplying a 3rd party Ada'9X
: product on its VMS platforms.

Great! Could you pass that news to Rob Straight? He has an action item
to find out what's going on here...

@ 1995-03-05 14:14   ` Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software
From: Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software @ 1995-03-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <317cb$12223.29b@ambra.drcoffsite.com>, kahn@ambra.drcoffsite.com (Larry Kahn) writes:
> In article <3j0gjq$h64@news.aero.org>, johnson@skyvu.aero.org says...
>>

>>Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
>>I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
>>developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
>>already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
>>kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").
>>

> I'm not a dec person in the know but from talking to dec and rational people
> at the last tri-ada the answer is NO.  Instead of developing a compiler
> I was lead to believe they will use the rational compiler ported to vms....

How does the Rational compiler compare to DEC Ada in terms of linking
other languages directly into the executable image, using common tools
to debug across languages (SCA in the case of VMS), etc. Does Rational
understand the VMS culture?

A lot of people in the Ada world seem to assume that one is using Ada
in order to target a small embedded other platform, but that is mostly
a Military model not suited to those of us in the commercial world.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-06  0:04   ` Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software
From: Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software @ 1995-03-06  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j1rpu$o7m@post.gsfc.nasa.gov>, koehler@bessta.gsfc.nasa.gov (Bob Koehler) writes:

> In article <3j0gjq$h64@news.aero.org>, johnson@skyvu.aero.org ("Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged") writes:
>>
>>Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
>>I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
>>developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
>>already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
>>kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").
>
> FYI: DEC has announced their intention to maintain their existing Ada product
> and resell a third party Ada 95.

I thought the reselling part of that announcement covered only DEC OSF/1.
Are you sure it covered VMS ?

* Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
@ 1995-03-07  3:25     ` Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software
From: Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software @ 1995-03-07  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j4mjv$4qr@butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>, l107353@cliffy.lfwc.lockheed.com (Garlington KE) writes:

> But the "third party" Ada 95 (Rational) is only currently intended for OSF/1.
> "Maintenance" of DEC Ada is not currently planned to include Ada 95.
>
> DEC does not appear to be interested in supporting Ada 95 for VMS on any
> platform. I haven't heard of anyone else jumping into this market, although
> there will be at least one set of VAX-hosted cross-compilers that will
> support Ada 95 (Tartan).
>
> There are rumors that DEC is performing a business case study to see if a
> VAX-hosted Ada 95 compiler is a good idea, but no one at DEC that supports
> F-22 can tell us anything about it.

I would certainly prefer that it was DEC Ada, based on experience with
vendors who move a "portable" implementation of something to VMS and
fail miserably on integrating it with the operating system and tools.

Larry Kilgallen