From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software)
Subject: Re: Ada 95 for VMS?
Date: 5 Mar 95 09:14:17 -0500
Date: 1995-03-05T09:14:17-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <317cb$12223.29b@ambra.drcoffsite.com>, kahn@ambra.drcoffsite.com (Larry Kahn) writes:
> In article <3j0gjq$h64@news.aero.org>, johnson@skyvu.aero.org says...
>>

>>Does Digital have any intention of developing an Ada 95 compiler for VMS?
>>I just spoke to someone at Rational who stated that there will be one
>>developed for OSF/1 on the Alpha only.  How about the VAX and VMS?  I
>>already know the reasons why they might not.  I'm just looking for some
>>kind of verification (preferably from DEC people "in-the-know").
>>

> I'm not a dec person in the know but from talking to dec and rational people
> at the last tri-ada the answer is NO.  Instead of developing a compiler
> I was lead to believe they will use the rational compiler ported to vms....

How does the Rational compiler compare to DEC Ada in terms of linking
other languages directly into the executable image, using common tools
to debug across languages (SCA in the case of VMS), etc. Does Rational
understand the VMS culture?

A lot of people in the Ada world seem to assume that one is using Ada
in order to target a small embedded other platform, but that is mostly
a Military model not suited to those of us in the commercial world.

Larry Kilgallen