* GNAT NT 2.0c & LINK32 vs. LINK
@ 1995-01-05  5:17 Mark Riordan
From: Mark Riordan @ 1995-01-05  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just spent an interesting half-hour or so with the latest
GNAT for Windows NT (just put up on ftp.cs.yale.edu a day ago).

I learned that GNAT requires the LINK32.EXE from MS Visual C++ 1.10.
I had a heck of a time with the LINK from MSVC 2.0, which is
the current version of Microsoft's NT C compiler.
Fortunately, I also have the older 1.10 release, and eventually
I got GNAT to work after I dug out the older CD-ROM.
The GNAT documentation does warn that LINK32.EXE is required, but
not finding it in my NT 3.5 or MSVC 2.0 distribution, I
assumed it was an error.

Just a warning that I hope will prevent a few of you from the
frustration I just went through...
/mrr

* Re: GNAT NT 2.0c & LINK32 vs. LINK
@ 1995-01-05 17:38 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-01-05 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry you had difficulties, a point worth making here is that we find that
something like 90% of installation difficulties come from either not reading
or not believing the directions. Of course it would be nice if GNAT
installation were more bullet proof, but meanwhile you can definitely
do yourself a favor by following the directions to the letter :-)

A good example is with the restore step on OS/2. Backup/restore is indeed
a nuisance program, and on our list is to get rid of it, but meanwhile
virtually all problems with this step come from people not following the
directions of what directories to be in, people just assume, wrongly, that
they know what they are doing and can diverge from the instructions!

* Re: GNAT NT 2.0c & LINK32 vs. LINK
@ 1995-01-06 15:44 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1995-01-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3efvdc$mp9@msunews.cl.msu.edu> mrr@scss3.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) writes:
>I just spent an interesting half-hour or so with the latest
>GNAT for Windows NT (just put up on ftp.cs.yale.edu a day ago).
>
>I learned that GNAT requires the LINK32.EXE from MS Visual C++ 1.10.

There is a simple fix for this problem.  Currently, gnatbl tries
to invoke "link32" since that is the the name of the linker on the
WinNT-3.1 SDK.  If you have MS Visual C++ 2.0, the linker "link.exe" that
comes with that WILL link and generate executable code with the GNAT-20c
release.  You just have to create a batch file LINK32.BAT that has
  @link %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

When Microsoft pulled a "fast one" and removed the linker from the
standard NT SDK release, it caused some logistics problems.  Before,
you could just get the SDK and GNAT and you would be all set.  Right
now, you have to buy a C compiler to get the the linker you need.
We are working on "ld", but it will probably be a little while
before it handles dynamic link libraries properly.  I'll post
something when that happens.  [It should happen before Win95
is release :-) ].

>The GNAT documentation does warn that LINK32.EXE is required, but
>not finding it in my NT 3.5 or MSVC 2.0 distribution, I
>assumed it was an error.

You know what they say about assuming don't you?
By the way, as it turns out, there is still "one last linker"
being provided with the WinNT-3.5 "final (purple)" release CD
[Vol #7A3C-0C03].  It is under the "SUPPORT\LINKER\32BIT" dir.  The
readme file there indicates it fixes a "known" problem with
running the MSVC++1.1 linker on WinNT-3.5.  You may want to
get this linker (and perhaps rename it to LINK32.EXE) to use
with GNAT20C.  THIS IS THE CURRENT APPROVED APPROACH.

>Just a warning that I hope will prevent a few of you from the
>frustration I just went through...
>/mrr

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate feed back... and
I know that others will benefit from the effort you took to post this.
I will get a note about this in the separate README file today, and
hopefully in the future we will have a regular "setup" program
that installs/tests with the touch of a button.

-Tom

* Re: GNAT NT 2.0c & LINK32 vs. LINK
@ 1995-01-07 22:31   ` Mark Riordan
From: Mark Riordan @ 1995-01-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Griest (labtek@cs.yale.edu) wrote:

: release.  You just have to create a batch file LINK32.BAT that has
:   @link %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Thanks--I tried this & it worked.  Curiously, I thought I
tried the equivalent before posting the first time, but obviously I
must not have done exactly this, because it didn't work.

: By the way, as it turns out, there is still "one last linker"
: being provided with the WinNT-3.5 "final (purple)" release CD
: [Vol #7A3C-0C03].  It is under the "SUPPORT\LINKER\32BIT" dir.  The

This also worked.  My NT Workstation 3.5 CD (rec. in Dec 94) is
green in color and is Disc Assy 236-075-081  (FYI)

So, there are many solutions!  Thanks again.

Mark

* Re: GNAT NT 2.0c & LINK32 vs. LINK
@ 1995-01-10  3:40   ` Raymond A. Bailey
From: Raymond A. Bailey @ 1995-01-10  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 This might be a silly question. I have a copy of NT on the way now, and look
forward to using GNAT. I own Borland C++ 4.0, will the linker supplied with
that package link GNAT output for me?

* Re: GNAT NT 2.0c & LINK32 vs. LINK
@ 1995-01-11  9:19     ` Douglas Rupp
From: Douglas Rupp @ 1995-01-11  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

The version on GNAT NT (2.00) available from cs.nyu.edu:pub/gnat will work
with any of the following Microsoft linkers:

1) VC++ 1.00 LINK.EXE (32-bit Executable Linker Version 1.00)
2) VC++ 1.00 LINK32.EXE (Just calls (1) above)
3) 10/94 MSDN II LINK.EXE (Same as (1) above)
4) VC++ 2.00 LINK.EXE (32-bit Incremental Linker Version 2.50)

Doug Rupp
GNAT Team