* Help with CLI Package
@ 1995-02-26  1:23 Turbo of Sloth DikuMUD
From: Turbo of Sloth DikuMUD @ 1995-02-26  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, can someone please help me with the CLI Package.
I want to be able to execute VMS commands from within Ada programs.
Can you please give me an example of how to use it, say for using a
directory listing as input for a program? How would I get a directory listing
from within Ada?
Thanks!

turbo@acca.nmsu.edu

* Re: Help with CLI Package
@ 1995-02-26 13:21 ` Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software
From: Larry Kilgallen, LJK Software @ 1995-02-26 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3iol5q$do8@dns1.NMSU.Edu>, turbo@acca.nmsu.edu (Turbo of Sloth DikuMUD) writes:

> Hello, can someone please help me with the CLI Package.
> I want to be able to execute VMS commands from within Ada programs.

The CLI package is for making your own program honor commands,
rather than for giving commands from your program.

For the problem you are trying to solve, you want the LIB package,
choosing between LIB.DO_COMMAND and LIB.SPAWN.

> Can you please give me an example of how to use it, say for using a
> directory listing as input for a program? How would I get a directory
> listing from within Ada?

Writing a quality program to iterate over files in a directory should
be done with the LIB package, with LIB.FILE_SCAN or LIB.FIND_FILE and
accompanying routines.  Reading the text output created by the Directory
command would be a gross hack unworthy of the Ada programming language :-).

Larry Kilgallen