From: wengelin@ozspace.brisnet.org.au (Daneil Wengelin)
Subject: Including Ada objects in non-Ada  environments
Date: 24 Feb 95 10:37:59 GMT
Date: 1995-02-24T10:37:59+00:00	[thread overview]

Dear All, can someone enlighten me on the following issue.

I want to be able to generate object code with my Ada compiler
to be included in another language. The standard way is to re-
quire that the executable is liked using the APSE linker to
get the Ada Run-Time included in the executable.

However, I want to include the Ada object code in an executable
that requires its own run-time, in this case the Windows4GL
applications generator from CA-Ingres.

It seems quite hard, since the Ada compiler inserts calls to the
code in the RTS, such as __raise_constraint_error etc, and I would
almost bet on that if we tried to include both the W4GL RTS and
the Ada RTS in the same executable, we'd be begging for trouble.

Why could not the compiler provide a facility to make objects
self-contained somehow? Could one imagine a mini-RTS that would
just provide the symbols the code generator inserts, without
the other stuff, given some restrictions on the source, e.g. the
keywords "task", "accept", etc are invalid??

For any practiocal hints: we're running Apex 1.4.4. on Solaris 2.3.

Ta, Daniel

-- Daniel Wengelin                 -- Team Ada, the best 0$ mem-      --
-- CelsiusTech                     -- bership fee you'll ever spend   --
-- dawe@celsiustech.se             --                                 --
-- wengelin@ozspace.brisnet.org.au --                                 --
with Standard_Disclaimer;