From: Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch (Magnus Kempe)
Subject: Re: Recommendations on software RFP/RFQs???
Date: 23 Sep 1994 08:34:00 GMT
Date: 1994-09-23T08:34:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Matt Whiting writes:
:
: My organization has decided to standardize on C and C++ ...

How a company can decide to *standardize* on C++ --a language which is
far from being standardized-- is really beyond comprehension.  (I mean
"beyond" on a cosmic scale.)

I've seen the same thing happen in a major (nameless) Swiss company.
The worst part is that several years ago they had chosen Ada *because*
it was a standard and they cared for portability among other things.

Ignorance can only be defeated by education.  The Ada awareness campaign
should also target the companies who want to "standardize".  By the end
of this year,
    Ada WILL BE THE FIRST STANDARDIZED OBJECT-ORIENTED LANGUAGE
with strong typing, exceptions, generics, and tasking since 1983.  There
are hundreds of validated Ada compilers, for practically every platform
one can dream of, and Ada vendors are already introducing the tasking,
real-time, and OO constructs into their compilers.

C++ may become a standard by 1996, but it is unlikely that Borland
and Microsoft will ever conform *entirely* to it; that would be out
of character for these companies.

--
Magnus Kempe		"I know not what course others may take, but as for me,
Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch  Give me Liberty... or give me Death!" -- Patrick Henry