* Re: Ichbiah's comment about C++ components
       [not found] <INFO-ADA%94090505321898@VM1.NODAK.EDU>
@ 1994-09-15 15:22 ` Keith Shillington
From: Keith Shillington @ 1994-09-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <INFO-ADA%94090505321898@VM1.NODAK.EDU> Simtel20 Transfer <HARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU> writes:
nice discussion on Ichbiah's comments on availability of components.
Interesting to note that this could prove to be a springboard for a similar
set of Ada (9X) components.

>Ichbiah is right in what he says.  I also recall Ken Bowles
>talking about the future world of Ada components (circa 1983).
>I don't know who said it first but since the language
>supports it I would guess, Ichbiah.

To set the record straight.  Ken first started writing about the need for
software components circa 1977.  I may have somewhere in the archive copies of
the rationale for the UCSD Pascal "unit", which may be considered to be an
ancestor of the Ada package.  I don't have records of Jean's history, but
have managed to follow Ken pretty closely over the years.  You will find
discussion of the software component concept in Ken's introductory Pascal text.

Keith Shillington keith@ixi.saic.com
--
  Keith Shillington         __ keith@ixi.saic.com
There is one world problem which overshadows everything: overpopulation.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-09-15 15:22 UTC | newest]